A step by step view from behind the scenes!

Click back through two months worth of older posts to see how each step in the production led up to the opening night.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cosmetic Details

While I worked up on the catwalk focusing lights, I had others help me with little painting details to finish up the set.

I asked scenic artist Dale Johnson to paint a simple arc of stone on the apron of the stage. This was the only part of the floor we painted this time. So the imagery on the floor is just as fragmentary as the platforms. Notice that the arc of cobblestones also joins my two Lucite up-light panels in the trap doors.


I made some simple faux finish applicators out of some foam swimming pool noodles and the thin foam packing material from my spotlight bulbs. The crew dipped these in paint and stippled the facia of the platforms.


Here a girl from the Drama 1 class stamps on the little designs. This will help break up the flat surface of the tape, and will help mimic the architectural design of Argentine railings and building facades. From the audience 40 feet away, this will blur together in the human eye as one unified structure.


Mrs. Tutterow, the director of the musical, helps out as well. Since rental company did not allow me to paint directly onto the scaffolding, I had no choice but to cover the platforms in tape first. I spent $120.00 on six 60' rolls of 3" wide gaff tape. Pulling all this tape off will keep the cast busy during strike!


Finally, Dale adds some highlight and shadow to the design texturing, and then he gave the entire tape a "wash" with some light green paint for a weathering effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment