A step by step view from behind the scenes!

Click back through two months worth of older posts to see how each step in the production led up to the opening night.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Testing the Facia

We have a "Parent Blitz Day" coming up where I will need lots of good crafts projects for parents to help out with. I want them to apply the facia to the scaffolding.

We are not allowed to paint the rented scaffolding, so I devised a plan to cover the pipes with temporary scenic elements. The fronts of the pipes facing the audience will be covered with gaffer's tape, which will come off very easily during strike. Then I will hide the ugly joints in the scaffolding with a variety of "found objects". At the 4-way joints in the pipes, I want to apply "drink cup holders" from fast-food restaurants! Once painted, and at a distance of 40 feet, these elements will look just like real architectural "rosettes" - like the European-influenced design features of the Argentine buildings in Evita. Believe me...they will!

Below, Alan Tutterow helps me apply a "sample area" of this "shabby chic" applique.


The fact that the first row of the audience is 40 feet away will help this effect a great deal. Once painted, (and splashed with my various colors of lighting), all this stuff will magically merge into a 1930's and 40's street-scape with European-influence flair. Of course, there are not solid walls here, so it will be just a representational setting in a minimalist theatrical style.

So anyway, if you take a closer look at this photo, in addition to the 3" wide gaffer's tape and the Wendy's drink cup holders, I'm also using some plastic garden edging with a nice wrought iron look, and some lengths of black PVC irrigation pipe, plus some cardboard packing pieces from laptop computers, below. (Click to enlarge).


I know you think I'm crazy, but Wendy's makes the best cup holders. Because, as you can see in this photo, there are shapes that look like the clubs in a deck of cards. And these things could make cheap and easy rosettes for the corners of doorways on any period set. (Click to enlarge).

No comments:

Post a Comment